Preparing to Move Into a College Dorm Room
Every student needs a college dorm room checklist before they move into the dorms! Preparing for college, buying college supplies, purchasing college dorm room decorations and supplies is exciting, but it is also one huge job!
During my children’s high school years, the hardest week of the year was the week before school started. I was panicked trying to copy schedules, buy school supplies, purchase uniforms, get haircuts, buy lunch supplies, and just remember to wake up on time.
Now, my children have finished high school and let me tell you, the week before school starts is still one of the hardest weeks of my year. I had never really considered how much prep work went into moving a student into a dorm room until it was time for our oldest child to move on campus.
Because this came as such a surprise to me, I am sharing my list of things needed for the college dorm room. I hope this helps you plan ahead!
Dorm Room Linens
- Bed sheets and pillowcases ~ Dorm room sheets (Twin XL) are not regular sized bed sheets. They are longer than the standard twin sheets and not readily available. Purchasing these sheets is a prime example of why I prefer online shopping. I could actually find them!
- Pillow ~ Yes, just a standard pillow is needed.
- Mattress cover ~ We purchased a mattress cover with a zipper that will completely encase the mattress.
- Foam Mattress ~ If you have ever set on a college dorm room mattress, you know why I wanted my son to have this addition. I would like for him to actually be able to sleep.
- Blanket ~ We purchased a simple fleece blanket.
- Comforter ~ The winters can get really cold, especially when it snows. Dorm rooms are not known for being well insulated.
- Small Area Rug ~ The floors are also cold in the winter
- Towels & Wash cloths
- Laundry Basket and/or Tote Bag
Purchase Any of the Supplies Pictured Below by Simply Clicking on the Photo
Twin XL Bedding
Ivy Union Premium Down Alternative Comforter Set Twin XL Extra Long / Twin
(Rockland shown – SEE OTHER COLOR OPTIONS HERE TOO)The Wormhole Twin XL Bedding Blanket Twin Extra Long (Tundra Gray)Egyptian Cotton 300 Thread Count Twin XL 3-Piece Sheet Set, Deep Pocket, Single Ply, Solid, WhitePro-Mart DAZZ Deluxe Pop-Up Hamper, Pyramid and Rectangle, Set of 2, GrayTwin XL 3 Inch Thick, 4 Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper. Made in the USA
Setting Up His Student Desk
These are pretty standard school supplies, but I was amazed at what all we needed to buy just to set up the desk away from home.
See This Separate Article
- Desk Chair ~ There was a wood chair provided by the university, but I wanted him to have more back support during the hours he will have to sit here. We purchased a padded office desk chair.
- Pencil Holder
- Note Pad
- Pencils & Pens
- Pencil Sharpener
- Stapler & Staples
- Paper Clips
- Rubber Bands
- Hole Puncher
- Postage Stamps
- Desk Light & Bulb
- Ethernet Cable
- USB Memory Flash Drive
- Printer Ink Cartridges
- Computer Paper
- Extension Cords and Surge Protector Outlet Strip
- Folders with Pockets
- Clear Presentation Report Folders
- Notebooks/Composition Books
- Notebook Paper
- Assignment Book
- Class Books
- Back Pack
- Alarm Clock
Desk & Classroom Supplies
Mead Spiral Notebook, College Ruled, 1 Subject, 70 Sheets, 10.5 x 7.5 Inches, Assorted Colors (05512)Post-it Super Sticky Notes, 3 in x 3 in, Rio de Janeiro Collection, 6 Pads/Pack (654-6SSAU)niceEshop Steel Mesh Pencil Cup,BlackSparco S.P. Richards Company Adjustable 3 Hole Punch, Adjustable, 1/4-Inch, Size, 8-10 Sheet Capacity, Black (SPR00786)
Electronics, Appliances, etc.
- Coffee Pot
- TV (all connecting cables)
- DVD Player & DVD’s
- Xbox and games
- Cell Phone Charger
- Trash Can
- Phone (of course he has a cell phone, but I wanted him to also have a land line)
Kitchen and Cleaning Supplies
Of course, there is really not a kitchen in the dorm room but there are a few kitchen items needed and while I do not expect him to clean his dorm room on a weekly basis, he will need these supplies
- Toilet Paper
- Paper Towels
- Paper Plates, Cups & Plastic utensils
- Microwave Dish (Disposable preferred ~ remember only a bathroom sink)
- Rubber Gloves
- Clorox Wipes
- Laundry Detergent
- Garbage Bags
- Broom or Swiffer
- Fly Swatter
Dorm Bathroom Supplies
- Shower Tote ~ a portable carrier for all of his shower stuff
- Shower Soap (Travel Soap Container)
- Hand Soap
- Flip Flops (Recommended to Wear Flip Flops in a shared shower!)
- Toothbrush (Travel Toothbrush Container)
A First Aid Kit is Perfect
This Organized Case contains: Johnson & Johnson Cleansing Wipes, Antibiotic Ointment, Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Band-Aid Brand Spots Adhesive Bandages, Johnson & Johnson Gauze Pads, Band-Aid Brand Butterfly Closures, Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Tylenol Acetaminophen Extra Strength Caplets. Motrin IB Caplets, Cortaid Advanced 12-hour Anti-itch cream, & St. Joseph Adult Aspirin Therapy.
Lest We Forget